One of the main factors of your website popularity and, as the result, profitability, is the amount of traffic it is getting.
“Web traffic is the amount of data sent and received by website’s visitors…. This is determined by the number of visitors and the number of pages they visit.”- Wikipedia.
Therefore, to improve your website’s traffic you must get more people to visit your website, right? And to get more people to visit your website you need to make it easier for them to find pages you want them to see. For that, your pages must appear in the top Search Engine Result Pages (SERP).
*A brief note- statistically, the top 3 lines in search engine results are getting 60% of traffic, the next 7 are getting 38%, and only 2% of people, searching for answers online go beyond the first page. The conclusion? Make it yourself.
One of the main ways to get to the top of search pages is to improve your website’s SEO (Search Engine Optimization).
Let’s talk about how can you do it.
How can you improve your website’s SEO?
The is a lot to SEO. its rules are constantly changing but certain things remain the same. One of the main SEO conceptions is the use of high-quality keywords. How to find these high- quality keywords?
What keywords are, in the first place? Keywords are words or search phrases people are using when they are looking for something online just by typing them into the browser’s search bar. To improve your website’s position in search engine ranks you need to build your content around keywords people would use the most and that would have the lowest competition at the same time. These keywords must be HIGHLY RELEVANT to your content. To meet all these requirements at the same time can be a daunting task for beginners. But there are ways to make it rather a simple one.
There are various approaches to keyword research, but in this post, I will talk about two of them, the easiest to implement- the alphabet soup and keyword research tools.
What is the Alphabet Soup technique?
The Alphabet Soup technique is the way to find a relevant keyword by typing your search term into your browser’s search bar. Immediately, as you start typing the search engine will start giving you related suggestions. It will present you with the most popular search term people already have used first lowering the relevance from the top down. You can choose the one you like or continue to type to complete your search phrase.
When you select one the search results will show you the number of searches for that keyword.
Remember, this is not the EXACT search term results- for that you will have to include your search term into ”quotation marks”.
Let’s try to search for phrase How to build a campfire:
Take a note that there are 522, 000 results.
You can narrow search results by adding Google suggested extension- “in the rain”:
The number of search results has decreased a little bit- by 20, 000. That’s not a lot, but you can continue fine tuning your keyword phrase until you’re satisfied.
Remember, your content should be built around your high- quality keyword, not the other way around.
Although an Alphabet Soup technique is a good way to elaborate on researching ideas for your article, it is missing keyword statistics accuracy. If you want to really fine- tune your keyword research results you will need to combine it with using keyword research tool.
How to find keywords with keyword research tool.
Using keyword research tool will make work easier for either Internet Marketing newbie or the seasoned veteran. I myself prefer to use Jaaxy keyword research tool and will use it in this example.
It is a very powerful tool that allows me to compare various keywords using different parameters.
- It allows you to conduct an accurate keyword research and management to select the best keywords and keyword phrases;
- It provides you with extensive website research and analysis;
- It empowers you in your niche research refinement;
The problem with many of keyword research tools currently on the market, especially free ones, is that they were built to work with Google search results only, Google occupies about two- thirds of the market. Thus, as Google algorithms are constantly updated and it is getting tougher on those who are not meeting its stricter guidelines, these tools are losing their relevance and providing inaccurate results.
In contrast, Jaaxy was built with platform- independent design in mind. Kyle Loudoun and Carson Lim, founders of Jaaxy, dedicated a lot of time and resources to researching various algorithms to develop the one that would utilize search results from all major search engines. As the result, Jaaxy still outperforms most of its competitors.
This tutorial is the part of Wealthy Affiliate University online marketing training program, that was also found by Kyle and Carson and offers COMPLETELY FREE ( no credit card required) starter membership.
Let’s see results Jaaxy provides you on your keyword query- we’ll use “baby cribs” search term.
Take a look at criteria Jaaxy is rating our keyword with.
- Keyword- this column is showing your keyword and keywords that are relevant to your search phrase. These search terms are often used in association with your keyword and can help you to find the most relevant keyword for your content;
- Avg- this column is showing results for all major search engine searches in the past 30 days for this particular keyword (the higher- the better);
- Traffic- this column is showing the approximate (median) number of click-throughs your page will receive if it gets ranked to the first page in SERP (the greater- the better). Remember statistics about how traffic splits among search results fro the beginning of this article?
- QSR- it is an acronym for “Quoted Search Results” and this column is showing you the number of competing sites using the exactly same keyword (like in quotes) ranked in search engines- your competition for this particular keyword (the lower- the better). This great Jaaxy’s feature allows you to select keywords with low competition to make it easier for your page to get ranked higher in search engine results.
- KQI- the acronym for Keyword Quality Indicator. This column is showing you in the traffic- light style color indicator the quality of the particular keyword. Obviously, the Green is good, the Yellow is moderate and the Red means bad quality.
- SEO Power- this column is showing you the keyword score based on the combination of several factors, including Avg, Traffic, QSR and others (the higher- the better, on the scale from 0 to 100). Naturally, the higher score results will help to improve your site’s SEO.
- Related- this column is showing you search term that is related to your target search term and can be used to help you with your content creation.
As you can see, you can compare various keywords against multiple parameters and select the one that is matching your strategy the best way.
You can find the keyword with maximum searches for it and ignore the competition rate, in case if you are an experienced online marketer and can beat your competitors with confidence.
Or, on the other hand, you can select the keyword with the low competition, which will allow your page to get ranked high faster. This is especially useful for new websites, that haven’t had enough time to achieve search engines ranking yet.
In any case, finding the best keywords for your content will improve your site’s traffic to the maximum level possible.
How to improve your website’s traffic with keyword research- the conclusion.
As Search Engines’ ranking strategies are constantly changing, so to improve your site’s SEO and traffic ,it is important to make sure to use high- quality keywords, as it is one of the factors, that still remains it’s relevance in ranking algorithms.
With the recent introduction of Google’s Panda algorithm, factors that used to be crucial for ranking, such as keyword density and meta tags, are losing their importance and other factors, such as content quality and relevance are becoming main ranking factors.
I hope this article has shown you how to improve your website’s traffic with keyword research and gave you a hint or two on how you would plan your own traffic building strategy.